infoDev (www.infodev.org) is a Global Partnership Program, coordinated and served by an expert Secretariat housed in the Finance and Private Sector Vice Presidency (FPDVP) of the World Bank Group. Its strategic goal is to promote the growth of technology enterprises to enhance sustainable inclusive growth, competitiveness and jobs. infoDev focuses on the following key areas to achieve its goal: (i) assisting in taking technologies to market; (ii) assisting in creating and growing sustainable enterprises that are technology based and enabled; (iii) promoting an enabling environment for innovation and adoption of appropriate technologies to promote enterprise growth as well as ensure effective competition so that the market functions to widen access to technology at affordable prices; (iv) disseminating research and best practices to enhance growth and sustainability of enterprises in the technology and technology-enabled space; (v) building capacity to enhance the sustainability of enterprises; and (vi) providing technical assistance to incubators to ensure Access to Finance (A2F) and Access to Markets (A2M).
infoDev is a thought leader in technology-enabled small business incubation. infoDev’s global incubation network reaches to 300 plus business incubators, and more than 20,000 small and medium enterprises and has helped create over 220,000 jobs across 87 developing countries. Within the World Bank Group, infoDev has also been recognized as being cutting-edge in its use of web-based resources to develop, publish and disseminate its work and facilitate debate and interaction among and between client countries and donors.
infoDev is implementing an ambitious work program. The “Creating Sustainable Businesses in the Knowledge Economy Program” will launch a range of activities including establishing regional mobile applications laboratories, using social networking platforms to link mobile entrepreneurs, launching a program to help technology-enabled small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) gain overseas market access, running international working groups on ICT and agribusiness entrepreneurship, facilitating access to appropriate financing instruments for technology entrepreneurs and preparing SourceBooks as guides on how ICTs and innovation systems can be best used in agriculture projects. The program will address a mix of global activities with country and regional activities in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe and Central Asia (ECA).
The “Climate Technology Program” aims to establish a global network of 30 Climate Innovation Centres that develop technology innovation capacity and enable accelerated commercialization and transfer of technologies for the mitigation and adaptation of climate change in developing countries. In addition, infoDev is in the process of launching a seven year “Entrepreneurship Program for Innovation in the Caribbean (EPIC)” designed to create and grow competitive Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) across the region by: (i) using business incubation to provide a suite of services for start-up entrepreneurs comprising of advisory services, mentorship, and access to office space and equipment; (ii) upgrading skills and capabilities of incubator managers and policymakers supporting MSME development; and (iii) providing seed funding to promising MSMEs to help them successfully scale their operations.
The Senior Communications Officer's main role is to lead, plan, develop, and execute effective communication and outreach strategies and activities in order to raise awareness and understanding about of the infoDev Program, both internally within the World Bank Group and externally. The Communications Officer will be expected to build and lead a communications team.
Duties and Accountabilities
• Take the lead in strategy and program development for diverse and highly complex communications campaigns, both internal and external, of special significance to infoDev’s work, anticipating critical communications/public relations issues; contribute to the formulation of WBG public position on critical issues related to the work of infoDev.
• Responsible for planning, designing, executing, and monitoring and evaluating the impact of sometime complex communications strategies, activities, and campaigns about the department’s work. Also contribute to broader strategy and business development with regard to the unit's overall work program.
• Develop, lead and execute global media strategy for infoDev. Provide advice to Program Manager on media-related issues, including but not limited to preparing talking points, media coaching etc. Identify media engagement opportunities. Provide media coaching to staff that may interact with the press.
• Develop and implement a marketing and branding strategy for infoDev, taking into account its current profile within the World Bank Group, donor agencies, stakeholders and client countries. This strategy will define, strengthen and promote the info Dev brand and effectively market infoDev’s work and competencies to all appropriate stakeholders.
• Determine the types of information and communication activities that are best suited to addressing issues or problems and identifies relevant information sources. Accordingly, writes and/or oversees the preparation, production and dissemination of both routine and complex outreach products (e.g., brochures, briefs, press kits, news releases, op-eds/articles, radio/TV broadcasts, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, Q&As, websites, speeches, etc.) that promote the strategic and timely flow of information and key messages about the department, its policies and operations to key internal and external audiences.
• Initiate and sustain effective professional relationships with key internal and/or external constituencies (including the media, civil society, academia, businesses, governments, etc.). Identify opportunities for and forges strategic partnerships both inside and outside the World Bank Group to improve dialogue and outreach and to strengthen the department’s overall effectiveness and image.
• Represent infoDev on a broad range of complex and sensitive issues; addresses major audiences (e.g. government officials, civil society meetings, private sector groups, donor meetings, etc.) on infoDev’s business.
• Monitor and analyze current events and public and press opinion with a view to risk management. Advises Program Manager and staff and clients on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances and helps to determine appropriate strategic responses to address them.
• Lead in planning of key internal and external events (such as workshops, seminars, book launches etc.).
• Lead in the maintenance of infoDev's web-based platforms, by: (i) assisting in the day-to-day management of infoDev's web based platforms; and (ii) helping to develop new content for infoDev's web platforms, including its discussion forums and online communities, in coordination with infoDev TTLs and other staff.
• Take a leading role in the dissemination and sharing of knowledge resources and products.
• Lead and direct others charged with developing and monitoring high visible communications plans and activities that require the coordination of multiple teams, facilities and other resources.
• Work closely with, and foster good relationships with other External Affairs staff of the World Bank, IFC Corporate Relations, FPDVP’s Communications and Media Team.
• Master’s degree (in Communications, International or Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or other related field) and 8 or more years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Solid understanding of World Bank and its policies and operations. Experience of having worked with both institutions a distinct advantage.
• Fully proficient at communication approaches, tools and methodologies for planning, executing, and monitoring communication and information strategies to the public - e.g. campaign management, social marketing, outreach tactics, knowledge dissemination, message targeting, etc.
• Ability to identify communication-related risks and opportunities and to provide timely feedback and advice to management.
• Strong conceptual and research/analytical skills, with the ability to think strategically and to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources into conclusions and recommendations.
• Proven planning skills and meticulous attention to details, with experience in managing the organization of high level meetings and events.
• Proven writing and editing skills and experience, and a strong command of English, with an ability to convey complex ideas in an engaging manner with clarity, diplomacy and precision.
• Task/program management skills, including ability to supervise vendors and more junior staff.
• High level of computer proficiency and advance web design skills. Sound knowledge of new web and social media such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. Familiarity with the World Bank’s content management system and knowledge of infoDev's web-enabled communities (including its real-time communications and outreach using our web tools) would be a plus.
• High level of creative energy and a results oriented focus.
• Ability to work effectively under stress; ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines and respond to changing demands; working alone or in a team.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with internal / external partners in a multicultural environment.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with strictest confidence.
In order to apply for the position, go to the World Bank's main website: http://www.worldbank.org/. Click on the link "Job Seekers" in the middle of the page. Click on the first link "Professional and Technical Staff Opportunities - Current Vacancies". The job number is 1052515. Applications must be submitted by 11.59 pm Washington time, January 11, 2011.
For questions on the job application process only, you may contact Josef Trommer (email@example.com).